IIS: SP V3 handlerUrl="/myapppath/Schibboleth.sso" leads to 404

pesche.egli at bluewin.ch pesche.egli at bluewin.ch
Fri Mar 8 05:25:12 EST 2019

I just upgraded my SP (running on IIS WIN2012R)  from 2.x to the latest 3.x version.
So far, everything went well. There's a special request mapping, which worked in 2.x and doesn't in 3.x:
mysp.org/myapp ==> the secured application context
mysp.org/acs/Shibboleth.sso ==> handlerUrl for ACS
I configured an <applicationOverride> element with its own <Sessions handlerURL="/acs/Shibboelth.sso"/> element/attribut.
It seems, that the location "/acs/Shibboleth.sso" is not known to the server,  get a  HTTP 404 everytim when the assertion from the IDP ist posted to the SP.
(in version 2.x the "default" Sessions element hold the handlerUrl with the "/acs/Shibboleth.sso" attribute.)
There's a pretty good documentation in the applicatoinOverride chapter, but it doesn't work as described:
<<https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SP3/ApplicationOverride>>
Thanks for any hints and comments.
/Peter