SP 2.5 Upgrade unable to rename metadata backup file

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 26 16:37:21 EDT 2012

> It was originally pointing to InCommon for metadata, but I changed it to a
> local metadata so I can get constantly change it and replicate the error.
> I thought it may be related the changing of root to shibd user, so I changed
> permissions and ownership, but the same error occurs.  It also happens on
> the windows side.

That is almost certainly the reason, at least on Linux. On Windows I thnk it's perhaps related to whether it's seeing that as an absolute path or not. The directory it's resolving to may not even exist, but the logs should indicate that.

On Linux the shibd user will not have rights to create files in etc, so that definitely won't work if you don't take pains to allow it (which is of no use, let it use /var/cache/shibboleth as it wants to).