changes to apply after upgrade (include system dir?)

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Fri May 18 09:35:14 EDT 2018

* Rod Widdowson <rdw at steadingsoftware.com> [2018-05-18 15:27]:
> Notwithstanding your question:
>
> > Why does this matter: When one applies the changes to the config
> > directory from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 the file ${idp.home}/conf/mvc-beans.xml
> > would get removed,
>
> Unless I'm mis-remembering, we *shouldn't* be removing or changing
> any files in conf.  That’s part of the contract.  We add files, but
> never remove them.  IIRC the install consists of copying file to
> dist and then copying into conf any file not already present.

I've probably not expressed that properly: What I did was applying the
diff in git between 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 to my config directory, so to speak
(not autoamtically, but manually).  conf/mvc-beans.xml is no longer
there in 3.3.3 so I removed it from the upgraded machine, too.
Doing that breaks the IDP unless a corresponding change to
system/conf/mvc-beans.xml is being made.

So it's not the upgrade process that breaks anything, it's me trying
to keep the diff to current IDP release as small as possible.

In this case the error was both expected (a comment in mvc-beans.xml
even mentioned it being included from system) and immediately obvious
since the IDP failed to restart with a clear message (that the
included file wasn't found).

So I'm fully prepared for "You can't do that!" as a reply.

Just trying to tease out what changes to config/ between releases I
can apply, and whether I'd have to apply changes to system/config/
too, then, if I do that.

-peter