MemcachedStorageService memcached version requirement

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Mar 21 20:29:44 EDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Marvin Addison wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu> wrote:
>
>> The StorageConfiguration wiki page ... says that memcached version 1.4.14
>> or later is required. Where does this requirement originate?
>

> From a bug I ran into IIRC that was related to binary protocol behavior. I
> looked at the pre-1.4.14 commits and the following sounded familiar:
>
> https://github.com/memcached/memcached/commit/045da59d01eefdb0ff8faf9d3a28e03ba78cbc80
>
> I honestly don't recall if that was the bug that I ran into, but it was a
> requirement that I discovered from some frustrations during development.
> Also, 1.4.14 is from mid-2012, so it seems fairly conservative.

Is it required to use the BINARY memcache protocol in this implementation?
I see some interesting options for memcache pooling (McRouter and
Twemproxy), but they only support the ASCII protocol.

I'm trying to come up with the simplest architecture possible that allows
me to put an entire auth stack (DNS+LDAP+Shibboleth) in multiple
indepedent data centers.  A replicated pool of memcache servers would work
pretty well (write to all, read from any).

Thanks,
 	Andy