mod_shib not handling requests to a specific virtualhost

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 28 21:46:28 EST 2016

On 1/28/16, 9:40 PM, "users on behalf of Wessel, Keith" <users-bounces at shibboleth.net on behalf of kwessel at illinois.edu> wrote:

>I have a rather odd situation here that I haven't seen before. On an Apache server, requests to one of the virtual hosts of /Shibboleth.sso/* aren't getting grabbed by mod_shib. When the admin contacted me today, he had the root of the virtualhost being handled by mod_jk and Tomcat, and I thought that might be the issue, similar to mod_wsgi without a SetHandler shib Location block. We turned off everything in the virtualhost, though, other than the DocumentRoot, ServerName, and ServerAdmin keywords, and still /Shibboleth.sso/Login results in a 404.

If it's a 404 from Apache, that's one thing, but if it's from Tomcat or something, that obviously means it's passing through.

>The over all web server setup looks pretty standard from what I've seen. Can anyone think of a reason why /Shibboleth.sso would work on the main server but not for a specific virtualhost?

Depends what is returning the 404, but generally if it's Apache, it means that a request to that vhost does not believe its handlerURL in the SP is the URL you think it's supposed to be.

It maps the request to an applicationId, determines the effective handlerURL for that Application (default or overridden), and then checks to see if the request URL is prefixed by the handlerURL it computes. If not, it passes it through. That's why there's no explicit "handler" in Apache or MIME type, or any kind of script mapping like with IIS, it's done with URL comparison logic.