mod_shib not handling requests to a specific virtualhost

Wessel, Keith kwessel at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 28 21:40:00 EST 2016

Hi, all,

I have a rather odd situation here that I haven't seen before. On an Apache server, requests to one of the virtual hosts of /Shibboleth.sso/* aren't getting grabbed by mod_shib. When the admin contacted me today, he had the root of the virtualhost being handled by mod_jk and Tomcat, and I thought that might be the issue, similar to mod_wsgi without a SetHandler shib Location block. We turned off everything in the virtualhost, though, other than the DocumentRoot, ServerName, and ServerAdmin keywords, and still /Shibboleth.sso/Login results in a 404.

If we use the main server hostname rather than the named virtualhost, mod_shib gets and handles the request fine. If we completely remove the virtualhost block, we can use the hostname of the virtualhost with /Shibboleth.sso/Login, and that, too, works fine.

The over all web server setup looks pretty standard from what I've seen. Can anyone think of a reason why /Shibboleth.sso would work on the main server but not for a specific virtualhost?

Thanks for any suggestions of where to look next.

Keith