sporadic user authenication issues

Rhian Resnick rresnick at fau.edu
Tue Feb 17 20:24:59 EST 2015

Vince,

I think if I remember correctly it is was firewall and bigip tcp closing idle connections. Java is not informed of the tcp reset which results in users utilizing the effected pooled connections authentication to fail. I have learned this lesson twice at two different universities.  You can detect the resets using tcpdump.

    tcpdump -n -v 'tcp[tcpflags] & (tcp-rst) != 0'?

Check the tcp idle parameters in this document might help.

http://markgamache.blogspot.com/2010/12/tuning-f5-big-ip-performance-to-ruin.html

Rhian Resnick

Assistant Director Middleware and HPC

Office of Information Technology?