FTP server enabled as SP

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Thu May 15 09:30:51 EDT 2014

* Koorosh Vakhshoori <kvakhshoori at gmail.com> [2014-05-15 01:31]:
> Thanks Peter, I will look into filesender.

I doubt that's what you want. I merely mentioned Filesender because it
handles /uploads/ of huge files in a somewhat standards-compliant way
(read: modern web browser, no Flash) -- which is not what you asked
about. From what you wrote you're only concerned with /downloads/ and
a webserver with the Shib SP in it is all you need here, as explained
before.

Also Filesender does /not/ protect uploaded files via SAML, everyone
with access to the "token URL" (sent via email) is able to download
the file (aligning with the security model of sending the files
themselfs via email). Arguably that's much weaker security than simply
putting files on a webserver and shib-protecting that.

Finally you seemed to imply you wanted special file transfer software
on the client for some reason (not web browsers), and again Filesender
does not help here. It solves a problem you do not seem to be having
(the upload part).

I probably should not have even mentioned it.
-peter