Shibboleth idp install Help

Peter Schober peter.schober at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 27 12:30:48 EDT 2014

* Mark Gibson <mgibson at taftcollege.edu> [2014-06-26 23:56]:
> I am looking for an install guide for shibboleth on Redhat Linux
> ES5. I have been searching around on the internet, but most of the
> ones I find haven't helped.

That doesn't help explain why those didn't help. Also given that
it's Java much if of the installation is not specific to Shibboleth at
all. And learning how to install Java and a Java servlet container is
much more general, is widely documentet and hence not tied in any way to
the Shibboleth documentation or project.
So the RHEL5 specific part is probably
  yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk tomcat6
then decide how to serve port 443 without runing the whole JVM as root
(I have an authbind SRPM in the works, but not done yet; the Shib wiki
documents how to use iptables for this), set up Tomcat as TLS-enabled
webserver as per Tomcat's documentation and then install Shib as per
Shibboleth documentation.
So there's more or less no relation between the Shibboleth IDP and RHEL5.
If you have questions (e.g. about the things I mentioned above) or get
stuck in following the documentation feel free to ask here.

Personally I wouldn't install a new machine (or create a new service)
basedon RHEL5, though, with RHEL6 in its 6th or 7th iteration and
RHEL7 around the corner.
-peter