Shibboleth and Office 365

Sam Jones sam.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 05:15:29 EST 2013

Hello,

Currently here, we host student email on Live at EDU, and recently there has been talk about moving that to Office 365.

We use the Live at EDU SSO toolkit to provide single-sign-on to users who have authenticated to CAS. CAS also fronts the Shibboleth IDP, so users who have authenticated to CAS also get single sign on to Shibboleth resources/services.

With the approaching move to Office 365, we are discussing the relative merits of either using the Shibboleth IDP to authenticate users to Office 365, or to setup a separate ADFS infrastructure to handle this.

We've done a certain amount of technical work to try and integrate our dev IDP with a test domain in Office 365 to prove the concept and are relatively happy with it at that level.

However, something I am often asked, but am unable to answer, is what other institutions authenticate their users to Office365 via Shibboleth. Therefore, I wonder if people on this list could tell me about their experiences of using Shib to authenticate to O365 in production? I'd also be interesting in hearing from anyone who hasn't yet implemented, but intends to do this in production.

All the best,

Sam Jones.