Queston about Context deploment fragments

David Massie dhm24 at hoyamail.georgetown.edu
Mon Jul 23 11:13:59 EDT 2012

I am trying to use context deployment fragments with my shibb instances. I
am using name based virtual hosting in tomcat to make 2 separate shibb
instances: shibb-x and shibb-y.

In each of the shibb instances I have logout wars that are separate war
files from the idp.war file shibb builds. The logout files
are to be used in logging out of different SP's we authenticate with and
are part of the shibb-x and shibb-y applications.

I want to use context deployment fragments so that the idp.war files will
deploy automatically whenever I do a shibb rebuild.
I also want to be able to place the various logout war files somewhere in
the Tomcat directory structure so that they are statically
deployed.

According to the shibb & tomcat docs I need to have an idp.xml file for
each shibb-instance. These xml file would be placed in the

$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/shibb-x.georgetown.edu

and

$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/shibb-y.georgetown.edu

where the idp.xml for shibb-x file is:

<Context docBase="/var/services/shibboleth/shibboleth-idp/war/idp.war"
         privileged="true"
         antiResourceLocking="false"
         antiJARLocking="false"
         unpackWAR="false"
         swallowOutput="true" />

and the idp.xml file for shibb-y is the same but for a different docBase.

This should take care of deploying the idp.war files.

What I don't understand is where to place the logout war files. I couldn't
find any documentation of this, but I tried to make the
following directory structure:

$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/shibb-x

and

$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/shibb-y

and I put the logout war's for shibb-x in the shibb-x tree and shibb-y in
the shibb-y tree.

But when I started Tomcat, none of the wars expanded.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Much appreciated,

Dave Massie