Standalone or IIS-fronted Tomcat for the IdP on Windows?

Chad La Joie lajoie at itumi.biz
Thu Aug 2 11:35:29 EDT 2012

It's really up to you and your environment.  For me personally, I
would run a servlet container without anything in front of it.  Having
one less thing (a web server) to cause problems and being deeply
familiar with many servlet containers makes that more attractive setup
to me.  But others fine other set ups more appealing.

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Andrew Webb <andrew.webb at statpro.com> wrote:
> Environment = Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1; IIS 7.5; Shibboleth IdP 2.3.8
>
> Installing the IdP using the IdPQuickInstall method (.msi installer), Tomcat
> is installed in standalone mode.
>
> Is your recommendation to keep it this way, or to front it by IIS (e.g. as
> indicated
> http://www.edugate.ie/Support/Technical%20Resources/Installation%20Guides/Identity%20Provider%20Guides/shibboleth-2-IIS-Application-Request-Routing
> here )?
>
> I would expect that our servers would be running other websites other than
> the Shib IdP.  My instinct says to front the CaptiveTomcat by IIS, but I
> wonder if you have explicit recommendations either way.
>
> Andrew

Chad La Joie
www.itumi.biz
trusted identities, delivered