Standalone or IIS-fronted Tomcat for the IdP on Windows?

Andrew Webb andrew.webb at statpro.com
Thu Aug 2 11:32:55 EDT 2012

Environment = Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1; IIS 7.5; Shibboleth IdP 2.3.8

Installing the IdP using the IdPQuickInstall method (.msi installer), Tomcat
is installed in standalone mode.

Is your recommendation to keep it this way, or to front it by IIS (e.g. as
indicated
http://www.edugate.ie/Support/Technical%20Resources/Installation%20Guides/Identity%20Provider%20Guides/shibboleth-2-IIS-Application-Request-Routing
here )?

I would expect that our servers would be running other websites other than
the Shib IdP.  My instinct says to front the CaptiveTomcat by IIS, but I
wonder if you have explicit recommendations either way.

Andrew