browserid?

RL 'Bob' Morgan rlmorgan at washington.edu
Wed Nov 30 23:34:04 GMT 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Cantor, Scott wrote:

> On 11/24/11 10:59 AM, "Peter Schober" <peter.schober at univie.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> https://browserid.org/
>> Only learned of it today. Looks like yet another scheme (and website)
>> where you sign up with your email address (which also becomes your
>> identifier shared with anyone), create a password  and use it to login
>> to other sites.
>
> It's Mozilla's proposal, but I don't think it got much support when they
> pitched it at IIW, if I recall what I was told. Don't know how hard
> they're still pushing it.

I'm on their list (dev-identity at lists.mozilla.org) and indeed it is
active, they are pushing out code, and doing all the other things that
people do to promote adoption of cool new identity schemes:  evangelize
potential big adopters, design logos to click on, do usability tests, etc.

Their complete denial of the lessons of all previous such efforts, despite
the participation of some very smart people, is breathtaking.

  - RL "Bob"