pubmed access

John-Paul Robinson jpr at uab.edu
Thu Aug 11 21:21:38 BST 2011

Hi,

PubMed allows access to users from our campus via the NIH's federated
authentication fabric and our InCommon membership.  We have previously
set up firstname, lastname, email, ePPN, and eduPersonAffiliation
attribute releases to NIH's SP, so this authentication succeeds.

The traditional access method for library patrons has been via EZproxy
on campus.  When this method is used, PubMed presents a download link on
search results that allows members of the campus to download articles at
no cost for journals to which we subscribe.

When user goes directly to PubMed and choose the federated login option,
however, their search results don't include the download link that
grants access to articles from subscribed journals.  Instead, the user
is always directed to purchase the article.

I'm assuming other campuses use this feature of PubMed.

Is there a way to get PubMed to properly recognize members of our campus
who use federated authentication so that they are also provided the
option to download articles at no cost for the journals to which we
subscribe?

Thanks for any insights into this config.

~jpr