How can we help on https://git.shibboleth.net/view/?p=java-sp-server.git ?

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon May 23 17:30:24 UTC 2022

This discussion should be on the dev list, but it is perhaps unlikely that your goal is related to the near term goals of this work.

There are no plans any time soon (like within some years) to produce an SP that supports Java applications natively. That's not what that project is. And I suspect that's what you're probably trying to find. This isn't a Java SP, it's an implementation of a processing server for the currently supported SP agents to get rid of the C++ code related to SAML and XML parsing, which is not sustainable code. It's shibd in Java, for lack of a more precise label. That's what the "server" in the name is referring to.

An SP that supports Apache and IIS supports almost everything in some sense. An SP that supports Java supports only Java. That continues to dictate priorities.

As the work develops, there will be public documentation for an API that hopefully will allow additional agents to be developed with hopefully a reasonably small code footprint, and we're more than happy to see others doing them.

I guess to answer the question, at this stage, the most anybody could do is join dev calls and if they have thoughts on the redesign [1] or what this server can be for other use cases, share them there or on the dev list.

-- Scott

[1] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SP3/DesignNotes