Hash tag in Relay state

Mak, Steven makst at upenn.edu
Thu Aug 11 16:44:58 UTC 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_fragment

From: users <users-bounces at shibboleth.net> on behalf of chad phillips <chad at chadphillips.org>
Date: Thursday, August 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM
To: users at shibboleth.net <users at shibboleth.net>
Subject: Hash tag in Relay state
Hi,

I am using Shibboleth as my Service Provider and Salesforce as my IDP.  The setup is working fine.

We just noticed that if there is a hash tag in the URL, the hash tag gets lost somewhere during log in.
So if my original url is:
www.mydomain.com/somepage.html#STUFFAFTERTHEHASHTAG<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mydomain.com/somepage.html*STUFFAFTERTHEHASHTAG__;Iw!!IBzWLUs!VJmGH6n_PQZ0yhRqmlNWrlGUG5nNem9Caopbu3X5pJSwZjRxo-FRWbnYxuBR1A4JOkaDH5XDrPEVwNWQ$>

once the round trip is done, I get directed to:

www.mydomain.com/somepage.html<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mydomain.com/somepage.html__;!!IBzWLUs!VJmGH6n_PQZ0yhRqmlNWrlGUG5nNem9Caopbu3X5pJSwZjRxo-FRWbnYxuBR1A4JOkaDH5XDrHH5bBHN$>

Should shibboleth keep the hashtag?  I searched the mailing lists and read something about how the Shibboleth IDP treats hash tags.  In my case I am using Shibboleth as the SP.

So my question is, is there anything in the Shibboleth SP that would strip out the hash tag?

thank you