Abnormally high CPU for Shibboleth SP module in IIS

Summers, David (daves@uidaho.edu) daves at uidaho.edu
Tue May 4 20:36:53 UTC 2021

Good morning

Very shortly after applying April’s Microsoft Updates to our Windows 2012 R2 IIS server, Shibboleth SP has begun to consume excessive CPU (up to 100% on all cores).

If we look at the IIS logs, we see repeated access to the same auth redirect for saml over and over again, for very few clients (as little as one when CPU gets hammered). I am unable to identify any errors or warnings that may be related from the local Shibboleth logs.

Has anyone solved a problem like this, or have any advice on how to diagnose? The major changes we have done in an attempt to remediate so far is:

  *   Install the latest binaries for Shibboleth SP (once with 3.2.1, then again when 3.2.2 became available on the 25th)
  *   Converted our installation from ISAPI to IIS module

Thank you in advance for any guidance. Have a nice day everyone!

DAVID SUMMERS
Manager
Server Operations and Endpoint Management

Information Technology Services
Office: Admin 22
daves at uidaho.edu<mailto:daves at uidaho.edu>
support.uidaho.edu<https://support.uidaho.edu/>
208-885-2070
Admin 140  |  Moscow ID 83844-3155   |  United States

Follow ITS! Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/support.uidaho.edu/?ref=bookmarks>  Twitter<https://twitter.com/uidaho_ITS>  Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/uidaho_its/>

[University of Idaho]