InCommon Baseline TLS 1.2

IAM David Bantz dabantz at alaska.edu
Wed Jun 30 21:32:20 UTC 2021

TLS 1.0 (1999) and TLS 1.1 (2006) are formally deprecated by IETF RFC 8996.

These versions lack support for current and recommended cryptographic
algorithms and mechanisms, and various government and industry
profiles of applications using TLS now mandate avoiding these old TLS
versions. TLS version 1.2 became the recommended version for IETF
protocols in 2008...

Web sites that negotiate a TLS 1.0 or 1.1 protocol will trigger user
warnings that connections are “not secure” from Chrome and other browsers.

IMO Yes, you really should regard those older protocols as a security risk
and update to support TLS 1.2 or 1.3. There are some niche needs for the
older protocols to support legacy devices that cannot support newer secure
TLS, but you can support legacy clients such as IE 11 and Android 5 using
TLS 1.2.

Note that the SSLLabs grading is not directly translatable into support for
TLS versions. You can disable support for anything less than TLS 1.2 and
still get a “grade” of B from SSLLabs if the server negotiates weak cipher
suites.

David St. Pierre Bantz