Shibboleth SP v 3.2.2.2 crashes randomly on Windows

Kai Risku kai.risku at arrak.fi
Fri Jul 2 14:34:11 UTC 2021

The server is 64-bit, but the web application is a 32-bit ISAPI application.
There are both 32 and 64-bit Shibboleth modules installed. Too many?

There might be some strange interaction triggering the bug, but the
following observations strike me as rather odd:

- the crashes happens with both the isapi_shib.dll and the new IIS7 module -
to what extent do these two different approaches use the same code?

- why crash at random and irregular times even when there are no apparent
http requests being processed? It might crash twice within half an hour
(even in the middle of the night with no active users), and then work
normally for 6 hours straight.

Currently the development environment has not crashed for two days.
Meanwhile the production environment has had 2-6 crashes per day for the
last few days (since upgrading). Traffic is much lower on the development
server, but we are also already into vacation times meaning the production
server is seeing a lot less traffic than usual.

I have just now configured native.logger to write to the Windows Event Log,
and at least at the moment the number of handles shown in Task Manager for
the w3wp process is much lower (~7000, compared to 20.000+ before the
change), but that might just be because of the restart. Have not been
following that number before.

--
Kai.Risku at arrak.fi     GSM  +358-40-767 8282
Oy Arrak Software Ab   http://www.arrak.fi