LocalDynamic + MetadataFilters = possible bug?

Brent Putman putmanb at georgetown.edu
Thu Jan 14 22:45:06 UTC 2021

On 1/12/21 1:38 PM, Cantor, Scott wrote:
> I don't personally have any filters applied to LocalDynamic, I just put them in the metadata. So I guess I couldn't say there isn't a bug but given the layering it makes little sense for it to be specific to one metadata source, and I have tons of filters running against the InCommon MDQ service with no issues.
>
> Perhaps Brent has some idea for what's special about LocalDynamic that might trigger something. You can file it, but I don't really expect much progress on it.

Sorry, took me a couple of days to get to this.

I think I may have found something suspicious.  It's about the
EntityAttributes filter issue Scott filed in OSJ-321 and the cloning
change/fix in OSJ-324.

In the AbstractDynamicMetadataResolver (super class for both
LocalDynamic- and the MDQ one), when persistent caching is enabled we
do clone the metadata document before filtering since the filters can
mutate the DOM and we need to keep the original bytes around for the
persistent cache:

     XMLObjectSupport.cloneXMLObject(input,
CloneOutputOption.RootDOMInNewDocument);

Scott, you understood the OSJ-321 EntityAttributes issue and attribute
subsystem interaction better than me.  Is this the same issue and/or
could it be related?  This case seems weirder because I think Steve is
saying it only happens some of the time.  But not sure if that's confirmed.

If it's the same fundamental root cause, then nominally this is already
fixed for 4.1, due to the fix we applied in OSJ-324.

--Brent