IdP and SP clock tolerance

Paul Fardy paul.fardy at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 6 20:34:34 UTC 2020

Re: curl -i

Well, it should have occurred to me to check the web server headers. Thanks.

I asserted that our clocks were NTP sync'd and match several visible web services. I asked for them to check their servers. They responded by restarting the servers and I guess that fixed the clocks. So too late now for me to check the HTTP headers.

Isn’t some tolerance acceptable, if not valuable? If I’m running an SP with Discovery Service and one IdP happens to be N seconds fast, how might I address that? The right thing is for the IdP to fix its clock. But an SP “fix” might be expedient and, therefore, valuable.

>From the IdP perspective, the ADFS option seems like a hack, except setting notBefore=(now - 4 seconds) seems useful and not unreasonable.

Still, they should have tested and fixed their clock before telling us to accommodate them.

Paul
--
Paul Fardy, Service Delivery, Info Security, ITS
University of Toronto