config memberOf in idpv4

Lohr, Donald lohrda at jmu.edu
Wed May 6 17:24:05 UTC 2020

Most LDAP products, if you look at the user's account you can see an
attribute that contains the groups they are a member of.

Many LDAP products treat that user attribute as an operational attribute
and not a normal attribute.  If you do an ldapsearch against a user, you
might have to use something like the following after your "(cn=test01)"
search filter:

"+" "*"

The "+" returns the operational attributes and the "*" returns all
normal attributes.  Normally if you don't ask for any attributes to be
returned, that the same as "*".

Of course, the LDAP server will only return the attributes that the -D
(bind account) as access to see.

In my opinion, why search all of the groups for the logging in user,
when you can search the user for their memberships - its easier,
especially if your LDAP service does not have a common group container.

Don

--
D o n a l d   L o h r
I n f o r m a t i o n   S y s t e m s