Error with caseSensitive in PermitValueRule

Ramon Pfeiffer ramon.pfeiffer at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Dec 3 13:48:46 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I'm still in the process of updating my existing IdP3 to IdP 4.0.1. As
far as I understand, the attribute release configuration changed insofar
as "ignoreCase='true'" is now deprecated and should be replaced by
"caseSensitive='false'" ([1] and idp-warn.log on restart).

I have the following attribute rule in place:

<AttributeFilterPolicy id="ReleaseAnonymousToAll">
   <PolicyRequirementRule xsi:type="ANY" />
   <!-- some more rules -->
   <AttributeRule attributeID="eduPersonEntitlement">
     <PermitValueRule xsi:type="Value"
value="urn:mace:dir:entitlement:common-lib-terms" caseSensitive="false" />
   </AttributeRule>
</AttributeFilterPolicy>

I know this is configuring the default setting.

However this fails with the following error message in the logs
(complete message below): "Attribute 'caseSensitive' is not allowed to
appear in element 'PermitValueRule'."

Anything I might have missed?

Thanks and best regards
Ramon Pfeiffer

[1]: https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP4/ValueConfiguration

2020-12-03 14:34:14,398 - ERROR
[net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.AbstractReloadableService:182]
- Service 'shibboleth.AttributeFilterService': Initial load failed
net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.ServiceException:
org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionStoreException:
Line 26 in XML document from file
[/opt/shibboleth-idp/conf/attribute-filter.xml] is invalid; nested
exception is org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 26;
columnNumber: 123; cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'caseSensitive' is
not allowed to appear in element 'PermitValueRule'.
         at
net.shibboleth.ext.spring.service.ReloadableSpringService.doReload(ReloadableSpringService.java:377)
Caused by:
org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionStoreException:
Line 26 in XML document from file
[/opt/shibboleth-idp/conf/attribute-filter.xml] is invalid; nested
exception is org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 26;
columnNumber: 123; cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'caseSensitive' is
not allowed to appear in element 'PermitValueRule'.
         at
org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.doLoadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:400)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.3.2.2:
Attribute 'caseSensitive' is not allowed to appear in element
'PermitValueRule'.
         at
java.xml/com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:204)

Universität Tübingen
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen