Ex: Error translating Base64 DER encoding into OpenSSL X509 structure

Nate Klingenstein ndk at sudonym.me
Wed Aug 19 04:32:01 UTC 2020

Yes, it was strange to me that a bad encryption certificate would result in
a failure to validate a signature when the signature certificate was
valid.  I hypothesized the SP might just throw out all the certificates
when it hit a bad one and give up on the whole operation, but after further
digging, I don't think that was the case.

In the post-mortem and after I posed the question, I think the ultimate
issues were two: both a bad encryption certificate and a signature that was
being applied to the wrong source data(they were apparently signing just a
fixed SignedInfo element rather than the Response element, even though the
reference was to the XML ID of the Response), so there were two errors that
were unrelated to each other.

The joys of someone else rolling their own crypto...