Pass authentication to another application

Nate Klingenstein ndk at sudonym.me
Mon Sep 17 17:13:08 EDT 2018

Rob,

It sounds like you want to basically act as an authentication proxy for the
other application.  You'll certainly need to know what protocols they
support.

A conventional approach would be to run a Shibboleth IdP protected by your
Shibboleth SP that re-asserts the authentication information you received
from the Ping Federate IdP to the application using SAML 2.0 as the
protocol.

The actual link in your application could directly trigger an "unsolicited"
assertion of information and a destination landing page after the SAML
transaction has completed.

https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP30/UnsolicitedSSOConfiguration

Or, you could link directly to their service and have it issue an
authentication request to your Shibboleth IdP, which would issue an
assertion in response.  That is generally preferable.

Take care,
Nate.