New CAS metadata support in 3.4

Marvin Addison serac at vt.edu
Thu Nov 15 09:39:16 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 9:32 AM Cantor, Scott <cantor.2 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Marvin would have to comment, but I think it's possibly the case that the metadata indexing by default doesn't allow for lookup of the information by the endpoint URLs.

That's correct. I defined a global bean for the indexes,
shibboleth.CASMetadataIndices, that you need to reference in the
configuration in metadata-providers.xml:

  <MetadataProvider id="VTMetadata"
    xsi:type="FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider"
    backingFile="%{idp.tmp}/vt-metadata.xml"
    metadataURL="#{VTMetadataUrlMap[systemEnvironment['ENV']]}"
    indexesRef="shibboleth.CASMetadataIndices">

    <MetadataFilter xsi:type="EntityRoleWhiteList">
      <RetainedRole>samlmd:SPSSODescriptor</RetainedRole>
    </MetadataFilter>
  </MetadataProvider>

I got burned myself when setting this up in our AWS test environment
the other day, so it's easy to miss. Moreover, I see this appears to
be a missing point in the documentation [1], which I will fix today.

[1] https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP30/CASServiceSAMLMetadata