shibd 3 crashes on start ApplicationOverride related

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 18 14:26:12 EDT 2018

Sorry for your wasted time debugging, you might want to sub to the commits list where the bug notifications go, as this was already reported this morning and the patch was committed. It's the issue I alluded to in my note about waiting for 3.0.1.

It was actually a pre-existing bug that got exposed rather than introduced, the use of multiple overrides had a number of hidden problems that may or may not have been leading to other issues more subtle in effect.

Also, you don't need overrides for that use case anymore, so it's a good excuse to get rid of them. Replace applicationId with entityIDSelf (*) wherever you were setting it and they can get removed, working around the issue entirely. The docs have been updated to include note of that feature. Just a good excuse to highlight it.

-- Scott

(*) You don't even need more than one of those if your entityIDs are vhost-derivable, it can do template substitution for them now.