Too many database connections

Wessel, Keith kwessel at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 24 18:09:22 EDT 2018

Thanks, Brian. The OS-level change is one option. I chose to set maxLifetime for my HikariCP configuration to a lower value after reading this which I somehow missed before:

maxLifeTime:
... We strongly recommend setting this value, and it should be several seconds shorter than any database or infrastructure imposed connection time limit. A value of 0 indicates no maximum lifetime (infinite lifetime), subject of course to the idleTimeout setting. Default: 1800000 (30 minutes)

I changed this to 4 minutes to be less than our SLB's 5-minute idle timeout. We'll see if it works. I suspect it will. And I'm not sure why this never showed up before today. Granted, the students are back on campus, so...

Keith