Identity Provider URL

Michael Dahlberg olgamirth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:20:45 EDT 2017

I'm setting up an SP (Dozuki) for SAML-based SSO against our Shib IdP.  All
they seem to want is our X.509 cert and the Identity Provider URL.  They
characterize this as "When using SAML, users will be redirected to this url
when attempting to login".  This last part is new to me: usually an SP just
wants the entityID (which in my case happens to look like a URL).  So ... I
thought just look at the SingleSignOnService in the metadata for my IdP and
choose the correct binding, which I made a guess would be the HTTP-Redirect
binding and use that URL.  That was not correct because the SAML response
was just the X.509 cert and a status response.  The HTTP-POST and
-SimpleSign bindings were not correct either (didn't even look as if the SP
redirected to the IdP).

Any suggestions for what the URL would be in a pretty generic Shib install?

Thanks,
Mike