reading IdP information from xml from adfs, error

Rob Audenaerde rob.audenaerde at gmail.com
Tue May 23 08:04:23 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm integration OpenSAML 3.3 in my appication, and instead of hardcoding
all the urls etc, I would like to be able to use the configuration XMLs.

I was given such an XML file for a adfs instance, it is
'FederationMetadata.xml'

This is the snipped I used to read it

InitializationService.initialize();
FilesystemMetadataResolver idpMetaDataProvider = new
FilesystemMetadataResolver( new
File("/home/raudenaerde/sso/FederationMetadata.xml") );
idpMetaDataProvider.setRequireValidMetadata(true);
idpMetaDataProvider.setParserPool(new BasicParserPool());
idpMetaDataProvider.initialize();

However, this gave me this error:

Exception in thread "main"
net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.component.ComponentInitializationException:
Component identifier can not be null

Using an github project (https://github.com/coveo/saml-client) that uses
OpenSAML 2.6.4 I had no problems reading it, but I'd like to stick with the
newest version 3.3.

Am I missing some basic set-up?

Thanks in advance,
-Rob