Upgrade failing for IdP 3.3.1

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 30 18:33:28 EDT 2017

> I'm attempting to upgrade a Shibboleth IdP installation to 3.3.1, from 3.2.1, on Linux.  I followed the instructions on the
> confluence, IDP30/Upgrading page.  Everything seemed to go smoothly, but Tomcat gave 404 errors when I tried to
> access the default /idp/shibboleth xml file.

I don't know what file you mean, but that's not how you verify an install or diagnose a system. You need to go back and use your logs if there's a problem after the installer finishes the upgrade.

> Next, I tried doing a clean install, which again went smoothly.  This time, Tomcat worked, but without the content.

I don't know what that means either, but do NOT do this. Do NOT start over. You need to go back where you came from and simply apply the upgrade, with Tomcat off, start up, and use the logs.

>  I managed to get the metadata put into the new system and to modify the metadata-provider.xml file so that Tomcat still
> worked.  But now I'm having trouble recreating the attribute-resolver.xml file with the old modifications.

Do NOT do that.

> Pretty much anything I add in causes Tomcat to die.

Tomcat has nothing to do with this. If the IdP is not starting, you need to use the logs. That isn't a Tomcat matter, and nothing the IdP does can possibly cause Tomcat to die.

> It seems that the namespace system has been changed, and that should require extensive modification
> throughout the file.  But so far I haven't been able to get anything to work.

All of that is incorrect. There are no changes required. There are new features and approaches, none of which are required.

> When this is added to the new default attribute-resolver.xml file, Tomcat dies.  The message at the bottom of the idp-process
>log is:

You cannot diagnose problems with the bottom of the log, because you're ignoring the real cause which is above it.

You need to start over and upgrade properly.