Extract Individual Fields from Audit Log

Strickland, David R dstrickland at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 21 18:20:37 EDT 2017

Michael, Scott,

Thanks very much. I was able to get what I need by making changes to the
shibboleth.AuditFormattingMap in audit.xml.

I think I was looking at an old question and answer about v2 that made me
think the format was hard-coded. Nice to see that this was changed in v3.

Regarding the Splunk use-case, I think it has more to do with how we handle
field extraction in our environment. If I use the name=value syntax, I think
our Splunk instance will extract these fields as events are indexed, rather
than all at once at search time with a rex statement. There may be
workarounds in Splunk, but I'm going off of a request from our ISO. Anyway,
audit.xml gives me the knobs I need.

Thanks again!
-David