v3.3.1 MetadataProvider, metadataURL formatting question

Peter Smith Peter.Smith at UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Jun 1 15:55:32 EDT 2017

I seem to be getting an error whenever I use a URL with an "&" in it.  The stanza I'm using in my metadata-providers.xml is as follows.

    <MetadataProvider id="docusign-provider" xsi:type="FileBackedHTTPMetadataProvider" xmlns="urn:mace:shibboleth:2.0:metadata"
        backingFile="%{idp.home}/metadata/docusign-metadata.xml"
        metadataURL='https://met.refeds.org/met/entity/https%3A//docusign.com/sp/?viewxml=true&federation=incommon-federation'
        proxyHost="proxy "
        proxyPort="3128"
        disregardTLSCertificate="false" />

The error message I am receiving is as follows.

2017-06-01 10:28:18,396 - ERROR [net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.AbstractReloadableService:181] - Service 'shibboleth.MetadataResolverService': Initial load failed
net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.ServiceException: org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionStoreException: Line 168 in XML document from file [/opt/shibboleth-idp/conf/metadata-providers.xml] is invalid; nested exception is org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 168; columnNumber: 106; The reference to entity "federation" must end with the ';' delimiter.
        at net.shibboleth.ext.spring.service.ReloadableSpringService.doReload(ReloadableSpringService.java:336)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionStoreException: Line 168 in XML document from file [/opt/shibboleth-idp/conf/metadata-providers.xml] is invalid; nested exception is org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 168; columnNumber: 106; The reference to entity "federation" must end with the ';' delimiter.

Is there a way of breaking out the "&" ?  I have already tried changing the string delimeter from " to ', and also the old trick of using "\&" but with no differing results.  Or is that actually not the issue?

Thanks,
Peter

UT Southwestern

Medical Center