IdP authenticate against a REST API

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 2 09:39:43 EST 2017

> The users are stored in a propriety system - and I am looking how to
> authenticate them. One option which would not require much change on the
> users behalf is that I can validate a user through a REST API with their existing
> username and password.
>
> So I am wanting to confirm if this was currently possible in the IdP? (I
> presume not - but double checking)

Either JAAS or a plugged in action bean to do the validation will work with the password flow out of the box, the latter being mentioned in the documentation.

JAAS is better in general in terms of being simple to code up, and it has the advantage of plugging in alongside other back ends if you need to span checking against more than one.