Where Do Schema Come From?

Cantor, Scott cantor.2 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 28 15:23:19 EST 2016

> Nothing "broke" except being unable to use the examples in the
> documentation verbatim(and a big thanks to Rod for going through this this
> morning).

Ok, so, documentation bug. Either we have to do double examples everywhere or we just label them, no big deal. Since anybody running 3.2.1 has no reason not to upgrade at the next patching opportunity, I'm not too concerned that we should maintain forked examples, but we should be clear what we're showing.

> I think that means A) using the new schema for validation and B) changing
> the namespaces and configuration itself.

The "new" schema is not new, it's just updated on each new version of the IdP, and is sitting behind a non-versioned URL that is what we use in the files. So if you have an editor you want to use that will validate them, it should just work. If not, you don't have an issue because you're not using the schema and the IdP uses the schema it comes with.

There is an edge case where you want to validate your config not against the current IdP version but a specific one, and if you do want that, we do have URLs you can use to do that.

> I know how to change the namespaces and config.  I don't know whether I
> need to do anything to slurp in the new schema, whether I inadvertently
> hardcoded it by checking in too much 3.2.1 config, or so forth.

No.

> Am I done?

You did more than you have to. You don't have to do anything, but if you want to remove the then-unused prefixes and locations, you can. It won't break if you don't.

>  I presumed not given that the URN and URL are both identical
> and already declared, so I would have figured all the other namespaces and
> schema to be irrelevant cruft, so I would have figured I didn't need to touch
> this.

All correct.

> If this is all down to the default namespace declaration that is in 3.3 and not in
> 3.2.1, I'm going to need more milk to cry in.

I don't know what that refers to, and I haven't looked at the (new) default files, but once you have a single namespace for most everything in the file, the usual thing to do is default it and omit the prefix and I did that when I redid my filters and would do the same here. But it's certainly not required.