AW: HTTP Redirect Binding and URL Length

Brent Putman putmanb at georgetown.edu
Fri Nov 11 13:18:36 EST 2016

On 11/11/16 9:33 AM, Roehrl Patrick wrote:

> Yeah the XML contains also the signature information (SignatureValue,
> SignedInfo, KeyInfo) and that makes it so big. And the request
> contains also the signature as parameter…so seems like a signature
> too much.

Ok, that confirms that the SP is broken.  An XML signature on the
protocol message is not allowed, per the Redirect DEFLATE binding.  A
signature on an embedded child object (which is very unlikely with an
AuthnRequest) isn't technically disallowed, but in practice means you
can't use such a message with the Redirect binding. See SAML 2 Bindings
spec, section 3.4.4.1:

"Any signature on the SAML protocol message, including the
<ds:Signature> XML element itself,
MUST be removed. Note that if the content of the message includes
another signature, such as a
signed SAML assertion, this embedded signature is not removed. However,
the length of such a
message after encoding essentially precludes using this mechanism. Thus
SAML protocol
messages that contain signed content SHOULD NOT be encoded using this
mechanism."

> So our SP uses the wrong binding for Redirect.

It's more correct to say that their implementation of the Redirect
DEFLATE binding is broken.  It should not emit a protocol message with
the XML signature, period.

> POST Binding àembedded signature in XML
>
> Redirect Binding àsignature as request parameter
>
> This would be correct?

Yes, that's essentially correct.