Error while using metadata aggregator v0.9.*

Lukas Hämmerle lukas.haemmerle at switch.ch
Tue May 24 08:09:17 EDT 2016

On 06.05.16 17:49, Peter Schober wrote:
> * Ian Young <ian at iay.org.uk> [2016-05-06 10:42]:
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "the edugain metadata processing
>> tool". Can you clarify?
>
> IIRC at some point Lukas published a packaged MDS distibution with
> SWITCHaai example configuration files on the eduGAIN technical
> website.
> That would explain both the name and the stale configuration file used.

I think Andrius is referring to this:
https://wiki.edugain.org/Republish_eduGAIN_Metadata

The instructions/packages there were written for MDA 0.8. I'm currently
trying to get an MDA config working with 0.9.1 and unfortunately this is
quite frustrating...

So, like Andrius I at some point gave up and started using Example 3 but
that also (like with current config) gives me with 0.9.1:
WARN  - Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling
refresh attempt:
bean with name 'source' defined in URL
[file:/opt/metadata-aggregator/edugain-metadata-config.xml]: Cannot
create inner bean
'net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource#43bd930a'
of type [net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource]
while setting bean property 'DOMResource'; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.CannotLoadBeanClassException: Cannot
find class
[net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource] for bean
with name
'net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource#43bd930a'
defined in URL
[file:/opt/metadata-aggregator/edugain-metadata-config.xml]; nested
exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource
ERROR - Unable to initialize Spring context
[...]

So, it seems Example 2 and 3 on the MDA web page [1]
net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.httpclient.HttpResource don't seem
to work with 0.9.1.

This makes things hard for new users (and old users like me). It would
be good if at least Example 2 and 3 would be kept in a working state...

Without working examples MDA I suspect that people won't use MDA because
it's so much harder to configure it compared to pyFF.

Best Regards
Lukas

[1]
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/MA1/3.1+General+Configuration#id-3.1GeneralConfiguration-PipelineStages