issues when downloading InCommon-metadata.xml

Zhang, Xiaoling xzhang at it.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 23 13:27:26 EDT 2016

Hi,

Can someone help us figure out why some of our SPs are experiencing issues when downloading InCommon-metadata.xml?

At UCLA the majority of SPs rely on InCommon metadata even for non federated SP's. Since eduGain was incorporated into InCommon-metadata.xml we have run into a few issues with SPs pulling the new InCommon metadata.  Does anyone have any experience with these issues?  We have seen issues in SP versions 2.5.3 - 2.5.6 on the following OS versions: Windows 2003, Red Hat Linux 5.6, Red Hat Enterprise 6.7.

In shibd.log:

2016-03-17 12:38:09 INFO OpenSAML.MetadataProvider.XML : reloading remote resource...

2016-03-17 12:39:09 ERROR XMLTooling.ParserPool : fatal error on line 404904, column 27, message: unable to connect socket for URL 'http://md.incommon.org/InCommon/InCommon-metadata.xml'

2016-03-17 12:39:09 ERROR OpenSAML.MetadataProvider.XML : error while loading resource (http://md.incommon.org/InCommon/InCommon-metadata.xml): XML error(s) during parsing, check log for specifics

2016-03-17 12:39:09 WARN OpenSAML.MetadataProvider.XML : adjusted reload interval to 1800 seconds

2016-03-17 12:39:09 CRIT OpenSAML.MetadataProvider.XML : maintaining existing configuration, error reloading resource (http://md.incommon.org/InCommon/InCommon-metadata.xml): XML error(s) during parsing, check log for specifics

However, the system admin was able to connect to the URL consistently. In some cases, after the file was manually downloaded, sihbd was restarted. In other cases, after the old InCommon-metadata.xml was deleted manually, shibd was restarted.

Thanks,
Xiaoling Zhang
UCLA