Setting idp.home

Baron Fujimoto baron at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 6 23:50:45 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 09:14:50AM +0900, Kirill wrote:
>web.xml should be in WEB-INF (at least in version 3.1.2).
>
>Also, please post the definition of that variable in web.xml. As far as I
>know the order of elements there matters.
>
>On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Baron Fujimoto <baron at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>
>> The Apache Tomcat 8 wiki page suggests setting idp.home as a context
>> parameter
>> in edit-webapp/web.xml (and rebuilding) should work.
>> <https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP30/ApacheTomcat8>
>>
>> However when I try this, it results in the following error:
>>
>> [ERROR] : org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader: Context
>> initialization failed
>> net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.logic.ConstraintViolationException:
>> Unable to find '/conf/idp.properties' at well known locations
>>
>> I've verified that the resulting idp.war file contains the web.xml
>> with that context parameter set. The web.xml sits at the top level
>> of the unpacked war file, if that makes any difference. E.g.:
>>
>> css/  images/  index.jsp  js/  META-INF/  WEB-INF/  web.xml
>> x509-prompt.jsp
>>
>> It seems like I must define "-Didp.home=<location>" in CATALINA_OPTS.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> Tomcat 8.0.35
>> IdP 3.2.1

web.xml contained only the definition as used on the ApacheTomcat8
wiki page:

<context-param>
    <param-name>idp.home</param-name>
    <param-value>/home/shib/idp</param-value>
</context-param>

There are no other elements.

I moved it from edit-webapp/web.xml to edit-webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml and
rebuilt the idp. It still didn't work. Furthermore, it's actually
worse now since the idp doesn't seem to ever load, and nothing for the
idp is being logged in idp-warn.log or idp-process.log.

Confusingly, I noticed the expanded warfile now has two copies of web.xml:
./WEB-INF/web.xml
./web.xml

More confusingly, when I tried to undo the change and rebuild, it still
doesn't work with the same behaviour, and both copies of web.xml are still
present in idp.war. I even tried completely removing web.xml from anywhere
in edit-webapp/ and yet both copies are present in idp.war again after
rebuild. Is build caching this somewhere? Maybe /webapp? Even when I
remove the copies of web.xml from idp/webapp/ and rebuild, and that
results in just one copy of web.xml in webapp/ that corresponds to its
location in edit-webapp/, it's still not loading any more. There doesn't
seem to be a "build clean" type target. Any suggestions or ideas what
could be wrong now?

--
Baron Fujimoto <baron at hawaii.edu> :: UH Information Technology Services
minutas cantorum, minutas balorum, minutas carboratum desendus pantorum