Clarify SP

Robert Lamothe robert_lamothe at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 28 12:38:43 EST 2016

Greetings Shibboleth Users,
    I'm fairly new to Shibboleth, 2 months ago I'd never heard about it.  Now I'm working with it and I'm trying to get my brain around it.  Task 1 was to stand up an IDP, which is done and confirmed by testshib.org.  That was tricky enough, now we have to register Service Providers.
    Here's my problem and the thing that gives me a brain cramp.

    We're trying to add an external web site to OUR IDP.  Our IDP is registered with InCommon.  Reading about adding SPs it tells us to create a key, generate a CSR from the key, and receive the cert from InCommon.
    After pouring over the docs, this procedure seems to be the procedure for adding a home grown SP, a website that I stood up and wish to authenticate against our IDP.  Is this correct?  If so, how do I give a remote SP access to our IDP?  If not, how do I create an SP that gives access to a remote server?
Thanks-Bob
--
Bob Lamothe
robert_lamothe at yahoo.com