Using Kerberos 5 keytab to authenticate LDAP resolver with 3.2.1

Robert Bradley robert.bradley at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 09:39:01 EST 2016

On 03/02/16 12:49, King, David wrote:

> Has anyone used GSSAPI with a Kerberos keytab to authenticate the
> LDAP resolver with 3.x?  If so, how did you configure it?  Is there
> any resource that I missed on how to configure/debug this?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help, David

We (Oxford) are doing this in a similar way to Simon Lundström's post.
 One major difference though is that our setup uses the
sun.security.jgss.native property to force the use of native Kerberos
libraries.  I have found in the past that this makes life a lot
simpler!  This also simplifies the configuration in jaas.conf
considerably, at the expense of having to set up the KRB5CCNAME
environment variable in the scripts that start Tomcat.

Our Java parameters for this look like:

- -Djavax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly=false
- -Dsun.security.jgss.native=true
- -Djava.security.auth.login.config=${CONF_PATH}/jaas.conf

and jaas.conf is:

- -- jaas.conf ---

com.sun.security.jgss.initiate {
    com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
    useTicketCache=true
    useSubjectCredsOnly=false;
};
pgjdbc {
    com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
    useTicketCache=true
    useSubjectCredsOnly=false;
};
ldaptive {
  com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
    useTicketCache=true
    useSubjectCredsOnly=false;
}
- ------

The pgjdbc block is there so that we can use GSSAPI authentication to
Postgres, although this is unneeded at the moment.

- --
Dr Robert Bradley
Identity and Access Management Team, IT Services, University of Oxford