Embedded Discovery Service for multiple SPs?

Rainer Hoerbe rainer at hoerbe.at
Thu Dec 15 11:48:43 EST 2016

> Am 15.12.2016 um 17:32 schrieb Cantor, Scott <cantor.2 at osu.edu>:
>
>> I am looking for an option to have the benefits of both EDS and CDS, i.e. SP-
>> local UI and sharing the user's selection across SPs. If the CDS would
>> understand an „ispassive“ option, that would return either a valid selection,
>> or none, but without interacting with the user. Any thoughts on this?
>
> A CDS without a UI is just a common cookie domain, you don't need anything like a CDS to implement that. That's the original Liberty/SAML solution to discovery.

IIRC the DP discovery profile does not specify a normative protocol for setting the common domain cookie. A deployment profile would have to do this. Why not use an extended version of the CDS to serve as cookie setter/getter?

> The EDS and the CDS aren't really different concepts, and either of them can run anywhere you want, they don't have to run on the same vhost with an SP if you don't want them to. The EDS doesn't even care if it shares a domain with the SP per se; it's the discovery feed thing where that comes into play.

I would need both EDS and CDS, as it is the SPs choice which one to use.

- Rainer