"Don't Remember Login" on example login page

Chris Reeves chris.reeves at york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 14:18:36 EDT 2016

Hi,

I've been trying to confirm what the "Don't Remember Login" checkbox which
appears on the default login page is intended to do. The most useful reference
I've found so far was a thread from last month:

Subject: Different SSO session timeouts based on IP

On Tue 19 Jul 2016 at 00:05:14 +0100, Peter Schober wrote:
> * Aaron Howell [2016-07-18 22:28]:
> > We have some "kiosk" machines that are always logged in. People are
> > using Shibboleth protected sites on them and forgetting to close the
> > browser or logout.
>
> Simply pre-selecting the "Don't Remember Login" (i.e., disable SSO)
> check-box on the IDP's login page in JavaScript based on client IP
> range would help a but, I guess.

Based on this thread I understand that the checkbox disables SSO between SPs,
and my testing confirms this. The only reference that I've found to this
checkbox in the documentation is here:
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/IDP30/PasswordAuthnConfiguration#PasswordAuthnConfiguration-ExampleVelocityUserInterface
although that doesn't actually describe what it does. I've perhaps missed
something, but is this described anywhere else in the documentation? If not
then I'm happy to update that page with a little more detail.

Regards,
    Chris