Shibboleth + Basic Auth in earlier versions of Apache (specifically 2.2)

Pottinger, Hardy J. PottingerHJ at missouri.edu
Thu Oct 15 17:23:50 EDT 2015

> The SP documentation on htaccess usage describes reccommended steps to take on older versions to reduce conflicts in semantics and avoid some of them

Thanks, Scott. Can you help point me in the right direction here? In a nutshell, I'm trying to support both Shibboleth and Basic Auth on the same vhost, most of the site is protected by Shibboleth, a few pages are exempt from this (via Satisfy Any) and that's working. However, when I attempt to protect one page with Basic Auth (it's an xmlrpc link, and thus Shibboleth isn't suitable, it needs to be Basic Auth). When I visit this page, I see a 401 Error, and the Apache error log indicates:

[error] [client 555.555.55.55 ] access to /project/login/rpc failed, reason: verification of user id '<null>' not configured

Here's the pertinent configuration for this page:

   <Location "/project/login/rpc">
     ShibRequireSession Off
     ProxyPass         https://projecturl:443/project/login/rpc
     ProxyPassReverse  https://projecturl:443/project/login/rpc
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "Project RPC"
     AuthBasicProvider file
     AuthUserFile /path/to/htpassword
     Require valid-user
     Satisfy Any
   </Location>

Searching on the error lead me to the previous discussion on this mail list, which lead me to the ShibCompatValidUser setting... Alas, I cannot (yet) use this setting.