Documentation of Extensions generated by SP Metadata handler

Tom Scavo trscavo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:29:22 EST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Peter Schober
<peter.schober at univie.ac.at> wrote:
> * Tom Scavo <trscavo at gmail.com> [2015-03-06 14:16]:
>> In a bilateral arrangement (between SP and IdP), metadata is shared in
>> a completely ad hoc fashion so I can't imagine a use for metadata
>> extensions in that situation.
>
> Certainly for algorithm support. Maybe less so for request init or DS
> response endpoints.

Certainly those are useful in a bilateral arrangement. What I meant
was (and I could be wrong about this): Assuming your bilateral accepts
SAML metadata to begin with, it's very unlikely the partner will
recognize any extension schema used, let alone act on the extension as
expected. That's one reason why we have federations, of course.

Tom