name id format unspecified

Qian, Yi yqian at ku.edu
Fri Sep 26 10:15:41 EDT 2014

Can it be explained in little more detail or can you refer to some documents that the unspecified should not be used, I have lots of SPs are using name id format unspecified, some big name like sales force and sorry about my google skill, it did not return any useful information when I search for not using unspecified?