Very slow processing of attribute-filter.xml with many AttributeFilterPolicy elements

Lukas Hämmerle lukas.haemmerle at switch.ch
Fri Nov 28 10:35:46 EST 2014

On 28.11.14 08:38, Lukas Hämmerle wrote:
>> Have you had a chance to try this against the V3 IdP yet?
>
> My colleague, Kaspar Brand, is having a closer look at the IdPv3. His
> results loading and processing the current SWITCH attribute-filter with
> about 6750 attribute rules are:
> - about 2mins with IdP v2.4.2
> - less than 5s with IdP v3.0.0-beta1
>
> So, this looks quite promising for v3 but does of course not help much
> in the short term. So, we probably will have to implement some
> optimizations on our side anyways.

In the mean time we have to revise that statement a bit due to some new
finding:

* Increasing RAM (above about 512MB) does not have a substantial effect
on loading large attribute filters.

causing much delay with v3 but reloading a filter (and probably in
particular unloading the old one/garbage collecting) is.

a) Loading the IdP attribut filter (1.7 MByte, 6750 Rules):

2014-11-28 08:45:14,238 - INFO
[net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.AbstractReloadableService:245]
- Service 'shibboleth.AttributeFilterService': Reloading service
configuration
2014-11-28 08:45:19,011 - INFO
[net.shibboleth.ext.spring.service.ReloadableSpringService:382] -
Service 'shibboleth.AttributeFilterService': Reload complete

-> about 5s with v3

b) Reloading a "minimal" filter (5.3 KByte, 18 Rules):

2014-11-28 08:50:13,948 - INFO
[net.shibboleth.utilities.java.support.service.AbstractReloadableService:245]
- Service 'shibboleth.AttributeFilterService': Reloading service
configuration
2014-11-28 08:51:45,070 - INFO
[net.shibboleth.ext.spring.service.ReloadableSpringService:382] -
Service 'shibboleth.AttributeFilterService': Reload complete

-> 91s with v3

Best Regards
Lukas

--