Shibboleth SP - What triggers redirection through Embedded Discovery Service?

Ken Weiss ken.weiss at ucop.edu
Fri May 9 19:11:23 EDT 2014

I looked at the documentation here:

https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/NativeSPSessions

I found this:

* cookieName(string)
* Rarely needed, this can be used to override part of the names used for
cookies maintained by the SP. The name is used in combination with other
values that are part of the SP implementation and not documented. It is
not meant to allow full control over the name but can be useful in some
scenarios in which virtual server domains overlap.

But I can't find anything more specific as to just how I can use
'cookieName' to handle "scenarios in which virtual server domains
overlap." And I'm not sure that describes my problem. I don't think my
domains overlap - I think they are different. I'm using canonical names in
my virtual host configuration in Apache, so as far as the browser is
concerned, and as far as Shibboleth is concerned, the server domains
should be .ucop.edu and .berkeley.edu.

Here's what I have in my <Sessions> element now:

<Sessions lifetime="28800" timeout="3600" relayState="ss:mem"
                  checkAddress="false" handlerSSL="true" cookieProps=";
path=/;secure; HttpOnly">

What would I want to adjust in order to get the cookies to work right and
avoid the EDS dance? Assuming that's the actual reason I'm getting routed
back to the Embedded Discovery Service...

--Ken

Ken Weiss                                 ken.weiss at ucop.edu
UC Office of the President              510-587-6311 (office)
California Digital Library              916-905-6933 (mobile)
UC Curation Center
415 20th Street, 4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612