cable provider IdPs?

Mark K. Miller max at psu.edu
Wed Mar 12 15:14:51 EDT 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014, Cantor, Scott wrote:

> On 3/12/14, 2:11 PM, "Mark K. Miller" <max at psu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The improvement in (implied) level of assurance is clearly worth the
>> work!
>
> How? All the cable companies care about is that somebody pays the bill,
> same as the phone companies.

I've heard HigherEds might assign a similar importance to paying the bill.

>                               The actual identity is of no interest to
> them, at least not without some outside driver (which wouldn't be us, but
> I guess could be some other business partner).

And, since FaceBook isn't even concerned with anyone paying a bill...

So, sure, since the whole family could be sharing the cable provider
account, you're clearly correct about any absolute assurance.

However, I still contend that a payment history, service address, and
whatever other components of a business relationship that the cable
company has makes the comparitive assurance far better than any FaceBook
make believe.

> -- Scott

Max